Top 5 Tips to Improve Mental Health in Seniors
As we age we may face many new challenges, some of which have to do with the possible change in our mental health such as a cognitive decline. Although that may sound scary to some you are not left without any defense against it. In this post, we will discuss the top five tips to improve your mental health, some of which you might already be doing without even realizing.
- Keep the brain active- any activity that keeps the mind engaged and thinking helps in keeping the brain active. Some of the most common activities include: playing puzzles/games, reading/writing, or even learning a new language.
- Keep the body active- the same way the brain needs to be exercised as to not lose sharpness, the body needs to keep active as to not lose mobility. Simple activities such as stretching or low impact exercises can do wonders for the body
- Take time to explore new hobbies- retirement doesn’t have to be boring, it can be a time to cross things off your bucket list! A time to explore your interest and find things you enjoy doing, things that bring you happiness!
- Spend time with loved ones- there are so many different ways to keep in contact with loved ones whether by internet, phone, or even mail. Keeping in touch is a great way to fight off feelings of loneliness or isolation which could lead to depression.
- Caring for a pet- animals can help by keeping you active and also by proving companionship. If having a pet of your own sounds like too much of responsibility perhaps volunteering at a local animal shelter might be something to consider!